BillyReuben Project

Sunday, February 20, 2005

No More Work

It is Sunday night and I fear work like I cannot explain. I feel like a soldier in an army that is about to be taken over by an enormous invading force. It is a feeling of roboticism and deja-vu combined. You know that you just had this same feeling about a week ago. A week before that it was there as well. I cannot remember a time when that feeling wasn't there.

No no no! I cannot let this feeling over power me again. I had a high energy weekend filled with music, friends, and late nights. There really is no reason to NOT to want to go to work. Maybe I am being selfish? Maybe I want good times to last all of the time? Can they? To make that happen what must I sacrifice? Is it worth having a house and health insurance? What if I die really early. I mean, if someone gave me a guaramtee for longevity then I could take good times in small weekend sized doses, but I don't have this promise. What if I die in two weeks. What would be the point in all of this?

The only comfort that I could bring to myself is that I may have eased some people's suffering and enhanced their quality of life through my humanitarian occupation. Maybe I am just a fool picking up the broken pieces shattered from people who were broken by the elite. The eliete are the only ones who I know of that get to have a weekend everyday.

OK, I am going to brush my teeth, try not to think about all of the things I want to do right now and mentally prepare for the Monday tomorrow.

BR

1 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger Jay said...

I know and understand how you feel. It can certainly be difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel when there is no light, and the tunnel just ends at your death. But, dear friend, we must trudge on. I have found great comfort in Albert Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus and other essays. Basically the book says that life is absurd and has no meaning, therefore we must invent the meaning of life for ourselves. Since reading this book work has just been something I do to pay our bills, and make sure I can go home to play with my wife and baby without having to worry about too much other shit. Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to subsist in this world without work, unless you don't mind the uncertainty of a life without financial security. Myself, I enjoy the perks of having money. And although I can go without almost everything I own, it certainly makes life nicer to be able to sit at my computer and post a comment on your blog, thereby making it easier for me to communicate with you. So, yeah we have to work to enjoy the things we love, but hopefully we can kind of "forget" about the work week and just focus on those parts of life that are enjoyable. We can't forget that there are millions of people out there with much worse fates than this, and we are actually very fortunate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home